07 August, 2013

To School (at home) Or Not To School (at home)

....That is the Question.

I told you all last year that I was experimenting with home schooling Turtle for preschool.
We got a home school room all set up.
Cruised along pretty well for 3 months.
Went through learning to print all the abc's, number's, shapes;
All the basics.
Craft time with learning to properly use scissors and glue and all the fun stuff.
We even started reading lessons.
And then we got bored.
And then we started to pack.
And then we moved and all our fun home school stuff was packed away.
And we just couldn't get it going again.

Honestly, I have been struggling a lot this last year on what to do for Kindergarten this fall. Praying continuously that God would show me/us what to do.

I want to be that great mom who home schools and comes up with all these great ideas all year long, but I struggle greatly in that area.

I want to keep her under my watchful eye forever. But I have to release her at some point.
Our daughter THRIVES around other children. She is such a people person and loves to be in group situations.
But she is so impressionable.

And then we add the complications of our temporary living situation...

All of our home school stuff is still packed, including our printer. (A big deal in the home school world.)

If we start her in school here, we will have to pull her out when we move further south and she'll have to get used to a whole new school soon after getting use to doing the whole school thing for the first time.

Oh the joys of parenting. Always wanting to do the best thing for your children all while trying to figure out what that is....

Also in case anyone is wondering, because we missed Kindergarten registration up here, we have a week and half left before we even have to make a final decision.

 On an end note, here are a few pictures from our home school preschool year:
 















11 comments:

  1. You will always do whats right for your kids. It will all work out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always try to make any experience a lesson. However I learned it is better to have a neutral 3rd party do the day in & out teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always try to make any experience a lesson. However I learned it is better to have a neutral 3rd party do the day in & out teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're awesome for even considering it! This coming from the lady who signed her 2 year old up for preschool.... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have so many friends homeschooling nowadays, that I've been toying with the idea in the back of my mind. I don't know if I have the patience for it...I also don't feel very confident in my abilities as a teacher. I guess as moms, all we can really do is dutifully pray about it. Either way, at least you are motivated in different types of ways for your children to get an education!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that is a toughie! I keep going back and forth on what we want to do, too. Whatever you decide, you and your kids know you love them! God will give you wisdom to know what's best for your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure you will make the right decision. I admire you for wanting to give homeschool a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You will make the right decision. Personally I'm a home schooler for pre-school and regular school from kindergarten up kind of mom but you'll make the right decision for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope the decision comes clearer to you over the next few days. Either way, things will fall exactly where they need to be. Have faith, not only in God but your own abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I plan on homeschooling Millie (I was homeschooled) but it definitely isn't for everyone. Each kiddo is different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Catching up on all your blogs. I enjoy the photos so much. I don't think AJ will have any problem adjusting to a new move if that's what it comes to. She loves anyone who will play with her, and she is not afraid to meet someone new. I don't think she would fall behind either, she catches on quick, just like her mother.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart smile. :D