26 August, 2013

Best Friend

Someone said something to me the other day that kind of bothered me and got me thinking about a subject I have a strong opinion about.
I am sure that once I state my opinion, I am going to offend a bunch of people, 

but I strongly believe that you should raise your children to be the best spouse they can be.

What do I mean by that exactly?

When I discussed with someone, our decision concerning our daughter's schooling, the person said, don't worry, she'll always be your best friend.

I kept my mouth shut at the time, because I know this person would have been extremely offended if I disagreed;

But I don't always want to be my children's best friend....

I would love to be their first true friend,

Someone they can always confide in about anything,
The person they can call if they need to talk about anything.
The person they can rely on at any second of their life.

But I don't want to be their best friend.

I want to raise them to look for a spouse that will claim that title for the rest of their lives.

I want to raise them to find a Godly spouse that gets it.

I want to raise them to look for that spouse that will always be there for them,

that they'll want to call first when something special happens, 
that they'll want with them at all the special moments of their lives.
 

And I want to raise them to find a spouse that sees them as their true best friend.

Can they always call and ask my opinion?
Do I want to be able to be at all their very special moments in their lives?


Absolutely.


But I want to raise them to put their spouse FIRST before their parents.

And I am perfectly ok with that.

 

"That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife 
and they become one flesh."
~Genesis 2:24

5 comments:

  1. I completely understand where you are coming from, thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with you 100%. I see it too often, parents trying to be their child's best friend and then have no idea how to fix an unruly child. It frustrates me and I wish more people would realize that a child needs a parent, not a friend.
    Very well written!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I truly could not agree more! I don't have kids yet, but I know I will feel the exact same way. That is the right way to look at it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart smile. :D