11 September, 2012

My Last Name

Today is "kind of" special.

Ok so I know the rest of the US (and many other countries that were affected by 9/11,) feel that today is special, but in our household, today is EXTRA special.

For those that are new to the blog, today is my husband and I's wedding anniversary. :)

Now I'm not about to get all mushy or post something that I've said before in a post or on facebook, but while we were dating, this song by Dierks Bentley came out:


When we got married, we had absolutely NO money. My husband felt really bad he couldn't even buy me an engagement ring or anything else for that matter.
I heard this song and made him listen to it back then. He didn't really get it at the time, but it meant the world to me. All I cared about was marrying him and becoming his wife. 
 Him accepting me for who I was and wanting to spend the rest of his life with me meant more than some expensive ring, a huge house or lots of money.

In fact, we spent probably a total of $60 on our wedding and that included the marriage license.
Every time I see a bride getting stressed over funds for a huge wedding or focusing on the wedding itself instead of who she is marrying,
I have to smile to myself and
 thank the good Lord we didn't go into debt or have any stress surrounding our big day.

By the time we decided to get married before boot camp instead of after, it was August and time to pick a date. When I looked at the calender and saw that 9/11 fell on a Saturday, 
I knew it was perfect for us!

It would be a constant reminder of why my husband served,
even when things got tough.


And after 8 crazy years, I am ever SO thankful for the gift of his last name! 
Happy Anniversary Babe, I love you!! 


{Sept '05}

{May 07}

{Oct '09}

{Oct '10}

{9-11-11}

{Aug '12}




9 comments:

  1. Awe, congratulations. It seems like your view on marriage and a wedding is similar to mine. Here's to another great 8 years for you and your love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! May God bless you with many more blissful years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! And I love that yall just went for it. I think too many people forget what the wedding day is supposed to be out. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! How smart of y'all to realize that a wedding is one day, a marriage is a lifetime. If only more people focused on the MARRIAGE part and less on the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww happy anniversary! This mirrors so much how we got married. Yeah, one day I would like to have an actual wedding ceremony (we did JOP) but starting our marriage and life together without any debt was WELL worth it. You guys are SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story. =) Happy Anniversary!

    Thanks for linking up for the Wednesday Walkabout!

    Sarah from GI Joe's Wife
    gijoeswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a sweet story! happy anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart smile. :D