13 August, 2012

Sacred Marriage

Since I'm away on our trip, I just wanted to post a few of my favorite quotes from chapter 8 of the book: Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas.

 What if God Designed Marriage To Make Us Holy More Than To Make Us Happy?


If you wish me conventional happiness I will never forgive you. Don't wish me happiness - I don't expect to be happy, but it's gotten beyond that, somehow. Wish me courage and strength and a sense of humor - I will need them all.
-Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Sorrow also played it's part in setting me free. So often today sorrow is something that is to be avoided at all costs. Sorrow is the enemy, the persecutor, the fearful emotion. If there is sorrow in marriage, we must leave our marriage, for how could anyone suggest that I remain in an unhappy marriage? While few of us would (or even should) have the courage to willingly choose sorrow, when we find ourselves in it, if we quieted our souls down - if we learned to float in it rather than thrash about like a drowning emotional victim - we might find that it can be used to set us free.

A difficult marriage may not cause us to grow. We have to apply ourselves to understanding, love and patience - we must commit ourselves to a pursuit of virtue - within that difficult marriage.  
We can't control how our spouse will act or how the world will act, but we can control how we will act and how we will respond.
This perspective puts us in the drivers seat. No longer tossed about as a "victim of sorrow," we become the architects of a new character. It is either this - or giving up control and allowing the toxic eruption of bitterness to pollute our souls.

Marriage is tough. 
There isn't a marriage in the world that hasn't gone through some type of sorrow, 
heartache, or problems.
It's how we react to those problems as a couple and as an individual that affects the outcome.

Continue to pray for yourself, your spouse and most importantly your marriage!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this book!!! So encouraging-- and I'm with ya girl, marriage is tough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Needed this right now. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love LOVE Sacred Marriage!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart smile. :D