26 July, 2012

Hash Brown Casserole

(or Cheesy Potato casserole)

Ok if I was a cool blogger I would have a picture of the particular casserole I make, but since I'm not, I found a picture that looks similar to my finished project.








-2 cans condensed cream of potato soup

-1 cup of sour cream

-1/2 cup of milk

-1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt

-1 package of frozen cubed hash browns. (The original recipe calls for the hash browns to be frozen, but I prefer to take the bag out of my freezer earlier in the day to let them thaw a bit. I think that the potatoes still tend to be too hard if I don't. Not only that, the casserole takes longer to bake because of the frozen hash browns.)

-2 or 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. (depending on how cheesy you want it to taste; I have an obsession with cheese.)

-1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese. (I have made it with or without, tastes fine either way.)

-2 cups of corn flakes (cereal)


Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl combine the soup, sour cream, milk and garlic salt.
Then add potatoes and cheddar cheese; mix well. Pour into greased 13x9 inch casserole dish.
Top with corn flakes and Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake for 40-45 minutes.
Remove cover and brown for an additional 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Note: I have added cubed ham, cut up bacon, or broken up breakfast sausage, (all pre cooked,) to give it a different twist at times. Works great for dinner or breakfast. All in all it's not the healthiest of meals, but it sure falls in the comfort foods category and is TOTALLY yummy!!



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this!! I have hashbrowns that I never used in another recipe and had no idea what to make with them (without getting sucked into the evil Pinterest). This sounds delicious. :) And how was I not following you before?? Sorry, I totally thought I was! Oops!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart smile. :D