09 June, 2011

Accountability {weight}

Back in January I decided to just get real with my struggles of losing weight since having my son.
You can read some of my weight goals HERE.


I have never been skinny. But was never over weight growing up either. I was always just "big boned" and kinda thicker looking.

In my teen years, even though I had multiple friends look much better in swimsuits, I never really let it get to me. I guess I was just good about where the focus should be. Now don't get me wrong, I am human and I am female, so I occasionally had those moments thinking it would be nice to look like a model or a magazine cover girl, but all in all, I knew that in order to be normal and enjoy life (aka eat pizza and fries every once in awhile,) I would also be slightly bigger, but healthy!

When I got married, I weighed in at 142. I probably could have weighed less, but my motivation to actually work out is in comparison to having a cavity filled. In our first year of marriage I actually went down to 132 because we apart due to military separation and I bounced from relative to relative trying to find a sense of normalcy. Unfortunately after we finally reunited and got settled in our new home, I was put on birth control and a blood pressure/headache medicine within a month of each other and even though my eating didn't change, I shot back up to the 145 mark! For the next 2 years, I pretty much just fluctuated between 145 and 149 and really didn't do much to change it.

Enter first pregnancy. I gained 43 pounds.
I didn't eat more, I didn't have any weird cravings that lead me to binge, my body just starts stock piling EVERYTHING when I am pregnant. Every cell in my body keeps every bit of water it can.
This was me at 40 weeks:
My husband left for Iraq when my daughter was 7 weeks old, so with motivation to be thin for him, I worked out 3 times a week all summer. I had an awesome friend that went with me and that was the key for me. When my daughter was 9 months old, he returned and I had lost 46 pounds and went on to lose 3 more after that.
Pre-weaning: 145
Within 2 months after weaning my daughter, I gained 12 lbs. BIG bummer. Then the following summer, gained a few more resulting in being 160 when I got pregnant with our son.

Second pregnancy: gained 43 pounds (what are the chances of that!)
Same issues: my body just stockpiled. Only this time I went up and down like crazy. I had health issues and MAJOR stress issues and my water weight depended on how active I was.
35 weeks:
 Cankles:


Ha, and here we are. I pretty much have done nothing to lose the weight and it has maybe gone down a pound or two every few months thanks to BFing.
I had been staying 168-170 ever since last fall. Even with all the stress.

Until April

The good news: I am now at 161!!
For some reason, I have lost almost 8 pounds in the 9 weeks since my husband left.
The ONLY thing that I can contribute it to is I have not had a drop of soda and I went off birth control, otherwise, I am dumbfounded at the reason. My plans to work out have gone out the window as single parent exhaustion and no help whatsoever have set in.
So as the time is coming closer to wean my son, I have to get my eating in even healthier order as to not let what happened before, happen again! And maybe "think" about working out.....

4 comments:

  1. Dieting is so hard. I wish it was as easy as putting it on.-- Plain and simple, I love to eat! :)

    I had a goal of losing ten pounds in 3 weeks. I truly carry about 6 pounds of water. It's crazy.

    Good for you with no soda. I get tired of water. Do you do anything to make it taste better? ie: lemon, Crystal Light, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont believe in dieting as much as I do in portion control; cuz plain and simple, I will never be able to stay away from certain foods!!
    I do keep Crystal Light packets on hand just in case I am having a flavor panic attack, but mostly have just trained myself to down straight water!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO glad to hear I'm not the only one who compares working out to getting a cavity filled. I'm all about eating healthy and enjoying a treat every once in a while. Except with nursing I feel hungry ALL the time! I am trying to maintain healthy habits so I don't have a problem when I wean my daughter, but it is sometimes easier said than done. I REALLY love a good cookie. :)
    Way to go on losing 8 pounds! That is wonderful!
    P.S. I had water at a musuem last week and they put pineapple and mint in it. It was super yummy and something I had never thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love me some crystal light as well, its a great alternative to soda. 8 pounds??? That's awesome!! Go easy on yourself, you look great!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart smile. :D