16 March, 2011

A year later

I am still on a guilt free break from blogging, but this last week has brought on a lot of reflecting for me.

The first 2 weeks of March mark the the one year anniversary of us leaving Beaufort, arriving in southern Cali, moving into our house, and my husband checking into his new command with bad news.

I choose to live a life of no regrets, but that doesn't mean I still don't like to think about how things turned out and how I can learn from the stuff that happened.
For those who haven't been following long or haven't read back to catch up, we prayed for orders to California for a year. We wanted to be "closer" to family and we wanted to be in an area that provided more things for us to do.
{We thought} we hadn't enjoyed the laid back low country life style/attitude and we thought southern California would better meet our needs/wants.

We couldn't have been more mistaken.

But none the less, God answered our prayers and we are here.

Now we could go on and on about the horribleness of this southern half of this large and long state, but again, God placed us here and I need the daily reminders that its not about my happiness, but what I've done for HIM lately.

Which leads me to things to contemplate.
I'll start with some positive thoughts:
-There are so many things to do here within just an hour and a half both ways:
  • 3 MLB ball parks
  • NFL stadiums
  • NBA team
  • San Diego Zoo
  • Legoland
  • Sea World
  • We live 2 minutes from the Pacific Ocean and a private beach
  • Disneyland {hello 45 minutes away people}
  • Knotts Berry Farm
  • Six Flags
  • Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc
  • golf courses in every direction
 But is it really worth it?
Is it really worth it to live in an area with a lot of fun things to do but yet with such a high crime rate?
How is it the best for our kids when the schools aren't the best academically or safe and English is a second language?

I am finding out more and more, (the hard way,) that life really isn't about my happiness, in ANY issue.

That's not to say God doesn't want us to be happy, but our first command is to be holy.

SO here we are, a year later.
I have survived a year living in a sardine can with no yard.
My husband survived a year with his new command.

Are we happy with our circumstance?

I will not lie, we are not.
But I guess that's not me focusing on being holy is it?!

SO pray with me/for me friends. Pray that I can be a light where I am, pray that I can not let the negative voices cloud my thinking and pray that I can be kept from my hermit like ways while my husband is deployed!

2 comments:

  1. Aww-- what an open and honest post, girl.

    I wish I had the cure for this. But truthfully, I am not happy here either. And I have been here for nearly 14 years.
    BUT my issue lies with no friends my age here.
    ANYWAY... Your last statement was good. If I had been content, I wouldn't have had all those daily sessions with HIM. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You nailed -- God is more concerned about our holiness than He is our happiness -- but what a great God He is that He has provided a way for us to one day live eternally in a place of complete holiness AND happiness! Looking forward to that day!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart smile. :D