01 March, 2011

Oh, it's pay day

Its time to bring up another controversial subject because I have been in a "blah" mood lately and I feel like picking fights.....

I've had a few too many people tell me lately it must be nice to have nice cars, nice stuff, and to be able to buy nice gifts for each other on holidays/birthdays all while saying they can't afford anything nice or extra, constantly...........
I've also had a few too many military spouses complain to me about how little money our husband's make and they wish they could afford to buy proper clothes/food for their children but yet they go out and drink all the time and continue to buy cigarettes and other unnecessary items!

I usually just keep my mouth shut and nod my head, but I have a few things to say on the subject.

First of all,
I would GLADLY trade my "nice" things to have my husband home 365 days a year. If you think for one minute I like having to say goodbye to my husband and my children's Daddy for any amount of deployment time so we can have "padded wallets," YOU ARE CRAZY, and I 'm really getting sick of "being slapped in the face!"

On a second note, I am a really frugal wife. I save like crazy the extra money we do get from deployments, so its not tight when things are tight.
We don't have extras like internet phones, subscriptions to magazines or memberships to gyms.
We went without A LOT of stuff at the beginning of our marriage so we could pay off my husband's bills and student loans. I have always made sure that when we did have a loan on a car, I made extra payments whenever we could, to whittle away at the loan and not pay as much interest.
When we were pregnant with our daughter, I bought a lot of neutral stuff so that if we had a boy later on, he could use the stuff also. We didn't have to buy anything new for him except his own crib.
I don't understand the people that complain about no money, but have a second kid and then buy a whole new set of baby stuff for him/her!

Sorry for pressing buttons, and I am NOT saying this is the norm with every situation and as usual there is an exception to every rule!

BUT......

For the people that complain about our "nice" things: walk a mile in someone elses shoes....

For the people that complain that the military doesn't pay enough to even pay for the basics/bills: QUIT spending beyond your means, prioritize, and save!

Ok as usual I am sure everyone took this the wrong way, but I needed to vent.
Someone honestly complained to me because my husband gave me a nice camera lens for my birthday, so I let it eat at me until it reached a boiling point!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I totally get what you're saying. When I was working, I worked two days a week because, HELLO, I have FIVE kids. There was this woman who worked full-time and had two kids who actually had the nerve to say to me, "Gee, it must be nice to only have to work two days a week". It took all I had to not yell back at her, "yes, I ONLY work two days a week because we do without a lot of stuff so I can be home the rest of the time. We don't take fancy vacations, buy our kids clothes at fancy stores or eat out several times a week." I think that people who say things like that really are first of all, ignorant about how you live and second, maye a little envious that you make it work where that can't. Just keep doing what you're doing and if you and your family are happy, that's all that matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man I think you wrote this for me. My hero came in the Army as a E4 and has worked his way up to W2. SO I have seen both sides of the money. I am that mean frugile typer person

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart smile. :D