27 August, 2009

Peace perfect Peace

NO one wants to write a sad note, but I wanted to share this as a reminder to not take life for granted.

Now as a military wife with my husband's profession, death is always a thought on my mind. I do NOT fear death as I know where I am going, but the thought of my husband dying is in an always too loud whisper in my mind that freaks me out. But again you have to trust God and his plan.
On another note, you don't always think of kids or young adults dying in the civilian world, cuz it just "doesn't" happen. Parents should not have to bury their kids, it's just not meant to be......then a phone call or email comes...or in my case, a status update.

On Monday, a very close dear friend had as her status update, that her 20 year old son had been found dead on Sunday afternoon. I was in shock, but at the same time, it didn't sound like her, so I put it off as a cruel joke by one of her boys, and decided not to react until I got some more news.

In the meantime, I'll give you a little background on how I know the family.

I met them in 1998 when they started coming to our church. They had 3 young boys and were pregnant with their 4th. I obviously did not get to know them too well yet, as they were a young married couple with kids and I was 17, but time went by and they had another boy. Molly heard I babysat/nannied and asked if I would come hang out a couple times a week to help out as she home schooled the older ones. Little did I know the "adventure" that was about to start and the lifelong bond that would become of it! When the youngest boy was only a year and a half, they had twin girls! So needless to say, in the summer of 2000, I was at their house more than I was at my own!

Now kids grow up, including me, ;) so I didn't nanny for them forever, but memories were created and I will forever LOVE them! {On another note, their grandpa actually delivered my dad 60 years ago!}

Back to the current...more comments started pouring in and then the dreadful moment came when Molly herself sent me a message...Adam had died in his sleep and they were devastated.

My heart just broke for them...and it still hurts! He was 10 when I started helping their family, so he kind of resented having a babysitter, and even though we clashed sometimes, a few minutes later, he would be the one to first help out if I needed something. I never saw anyone smile the way Adam did. His eyes would crinkle up, and his whole face would break out into a HUGE grin.

I guess Jesus was done sharing....
Don't take ANYONE for granted, say I Love you...life is too short for grudges... and if you have a moment: Lift the Garland family up in prayer to give then peace and comfort during this time.
And if you knew them, here is a link for the memorial service info: http://www.gtbc.org/

Adam Garland
7/17/89-8/23/09
Gone but never forgotten

2 comments:

  1. A very touching tribute. As a parent of kids this age+ I find that I worry more about them having an accident, etc than dying in their sleep. It's not something that you would ever think would happen. It just reinforces that they belong to God and we are just here to take care of them for whatever time He chooses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well spoken--a fitting tribute!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my heart smile. :D